I size my handmade dread beads by hole diameter. I list all measurements in both millimeters (mm) and inches. Each listing has the available sizes for that design.
General sizing guidelines
- Pencil-sized locks: 7 - 10mm (1/4" - 3/8")
- Sharpie-sized locks: 10 - 14mm (3/8" - 1/2")
- Congos and thick locks: 15mm and up (5/8" and larger)
Measuring your lock diameter
Want the best fit? Measure your lock diameter!
- Get a string or strip of paper.
- Wrap it around your lock, and use a pen to mark where it meets.
- Use a ruler to measure (in mm) between the marks.
- Divide that number by 3.14.
For example: If the distance between the marks is 38mm, divide by 3.14 and you get about 12mm.
If you're between sizes, I recommend rounding down.
Making it fit
Sleeve too small? My beadwork is strong and flexible, but it doesn't stretch. Please don't force your sleeve over a giant bump, or onto a lock that's too thick for it! Just try it on a few slightly smaller locks, until you get the perfect fit.
Sleeve too large? Put a thin rubberband around your lock, and slide the sleeve over it. The rubberband will help hold the sleeve in place.
Care informationI make all my dreadlock sleeves with waterproof thread. You can wear your sleeves when showering, headbanging, surfing, doing sports, and dancing in the rain!
But please take them off before:
- Bleaching or dyeing your hair (including henna)
- Deep-cleaning your locks
- Washing with baking soda or apple cider vinegar
- Swimming in chlorinated pools
Treat your dread jewelry gently, and it will last MANY years!